The built-up area in Bečov has retained the original medieval ground plan. Many houses built in the styles of Baroque and Classicism can still be found in the little town, though they are often in a desolate state. Visitors will notice numerous original carved doors dating from the first half of the 19th century. A number of the houses in the 5th May Square (Náměstí 5.května) have preserved their original Gothic nuclei. Visitors to Bečov should see the following houses:
THE 5TH MAY SQUARE (Náměstí 5. května)
No. 14 - an example of regional folk architecture dating from about 1830. The originally half-timbered house stands to the left of the entrance to the palace.
No. 16 - a two-storey house with two window axes. The facade is completed by a triangular gable. The classicist (Empire) house dates back to about 1835. It was here where the big fire of the town started in 1760. Today it is in a poor condition.
No. 17 - the "Near the Castle" restaurant and private hotel. The house with an upstairs was built in the style of Classicism in the first half of the 19th century.
No. 19 - a small house with an upstairs dating from the 18th century, with a passage to the former Jewish town part (the Jewish Gate). The hatter Anton Wölfl lived there before World War I.
No. 27 - a house with an upstairs dating from about 1860. There is a beautiful original shop-window on the ground floor. It dates from the close of the 19th century. There used to be Feiler's ironmonger's in the house.
No. 193 - an old Baroque house, the former pharmacy
No. 194 - a memorable house, originally Baroque, with a built-on gallery in the direction of the yard
No. 195 - a classicist renovated house with an upstairs. The original doorway and a wooden carved door dating from about 1930 have been preserved.
No. 197 - a classicist house with a view and a vaulted entrance to mews. There were an inn and a butcher's there, today there is a restaurant.
No. 199 - a classicist house with an upstairs and four window axes. There was a shop selling textiles on the ground floor.
No.200 - a corner house with a an upstairs, originally Baroque, it is being renovated at present.
No. 109 - a half-timbered house dating from about 1800.
No. 133 -a half-timbered house dating from the beginning of the 19th century.
No. 112 - "the Old Post Office". A large house which was built in the late Baroque style at the close of the 18th century. It stands at the bridge across the Teplá River near the road running to Karlovy Vary and Mariánské Lázně. It was built as a post station where post coaches changed their horses. There was a popular inn there too.
THE FORMER JEWISH TOWN
There was a numerous Jewish community in Bečov for centuries. The first records of it date from the 16th century.
A map of the town of Bečov dating from 1727 with a detailed plan of the Jewish town has been preserved in the State Central Record Office in Prague. The Jewish ghetto was situated in the west sloping part of the town behind "the Jewish Gate". The Jews had their own synagogue there. To get to the ghetto from the square, one had to pass through three gates.
The Jewish cemetery was located on the hillside between the Bečov railway station and the road leading to Nová Ves. The cemetery was completely destroyed by the Nazis in 1938. One of the old tombstones was carried from the cemetery to the castle chapel. The yard of the mill in Vodná was paved with remaining epitaphs. Parts of them can still be found there.
THE MUSICAL SCHOOL (SCHOOL OF ARTS)
The school with an excellent reputation was founded in 1887. Pupils from the whole northwestern Bohemian borderland studied there. There were about 60 pupils in this school. It was organized in the same way as the conservatories of that time were, having two preparatory and six study classes. An oak, which is about 150 years old, grows near the school.
THE MEMORIAL TO THE VICTIMS OF THE WAR
It was unveiled in 1932 in honour of the dead of World War I. After 1945 it was changed into a memorial to the victims of World War II.